Friday, October 26, 2007

No Smoking

Went for 'No Smoking' last night. One movie that went bouncer. T

hough the message was very clear - "Smoking is injurious to health", but the way it was symbolized was complicated. The director seemed confused at many junctions. One feel (atleast I did) running out of the theater . Very unrealistic. There are too many easily visible loopholes. It leaves the audience with a lot of question marks at the end. Left open for interpretation.

I would not give any rating to the movie. But one advice - Watch at your own risk.

1 comment:

Ajit said...

I totally agree the movie was probably different, I wont call it weird…it was different. It totally belongs to a different genre of film-making, something that we Indians aren’t used to. We are used to see gloss on television…or Karan Johar and David Dhawan type of movies, and we believe to find only such movies. This movie was definitely not made for the masses, its made for a select class of audience, and unfortunately none of us falls into this class.

I sat and saw this movie a second time (Yes…unbelievable I knw…I saw it to broaden my horizons on the whole concept of film making). Now let me sit and write wat I understood from this movie. This movie is just abt symbolism, and it has a mix of reality and hallucination. There is noone called Bengali Baba in this film, It is just the imagination of K. Paresh Rawal is only a doctor in the rehab clinic…The scenes were John is shown to be tortured and stuff, is nothing but his innerself trying to break free from the imaginary restraints imposed by the imaginary rehab centre. The movie is not at an attempt to tell smokers to quit smoking…absolutely not…!! It shows how K reacts to different situations around him and in between of all this how his soul plays mind games with him…the whole thing is imaginary…else which bank does clearing of 21 lakhs on a day to day basis.

And like I read somewhere “many mite not be able to link the different facets in the storyline, but that’s how the movie is meant to be..dark and with a lot of ambiguity”

 

Made by Lena